The current health of Aurelia

Given its current state as it presents to me, things do not look good. It fails right out of the box.
I followed the instructions here:

Is there a definitive set of instructions and installation files that will install and run successfully on Windows 10? If there isn’t, I would say that is a fair indication that you will not be acquiring many developers.

I get it that software is often imperfect, but something that simply does not run at all out of the box is badly failed.

If someone can point me to files that will actually work, I’ll give it another go.

Cheers!

One of the errors looks like this:
node:internal/modules/cjs/loader:936
throw err;
^

Error: Cannot find module ‘D:\std\dvl\nodejs\node_modules\npm\bin\npm-cli.js’

1 Like

@btrower
huh? This is not a troubleshooting thread, but I just ran Aurelia1 recently on two separate Win10 computers, my friend needed a blog… Fastest to production in AWS instantly. npm install -g aurelia-cli … then au new (webpack, Typescript) and npm start … works great bud. I deployed with AWS Amplify & CodeCommit npm run build. Try again on a fresh Windows10. That’s what’s so easy about it: getting up and running in minutes is the key to frameworks.

1 Like

i can only suspect an old nodejs version but I also didnt have any issues so far on either Win or Linux

I am also like Aurelia very much. But I see the same problems.
It is hard for me to convince some others to choose for Aurelia if Aurelia 2 takes so much time to be finished.

I just some kind of figure when it will be done. I had expected that Aurelia alpha would there be in 2020. But it is still not there. So what should I do now?

It would be nice if the milestones in the GitHub repository would give some indication. But I see there an RC version with less issues then an alpha version. And a 0.8 version that is finished a long time ago.

3 Likes

Currently I am learning Remix.run…for the same reason

@Sayan751 it would be nice to know the current state of aurelia 2 perhaps a blog post to provider a wider update?

how far away is v2 proper? It seems like we are seeing less people working on it? has the team shrunk? for example, @bigopon is very quiet in discourse recently?

6 Likes

Here is a short update. @dwaynecharrington has improved the Aurelia2 docs a lot! Those are looking really awesome right now. He might also be doing a blog post.

He has kindly identified a couple of router issues as well. I will be busy with those in coming days. Once those are fixed, I think we can expect a release.

Contextually, I would really like to emphasize that the Aurelia2 in its current shape offers a stable framework. Therefore, I would also go this far by suggesting you guys to try out the framework. In case of any issues, you know how to reach us. We can always use your feedback.

15 Likes

The docs are in a way better state now. I filled in a lot of the placeholder content that was missing. We’ve got everything from templating to testing docs now. I do have some blog posts

And reiterating what Sayan said, Aurelia 2 is in a state where we would recommend creating a new project with it, or considering the porting process from v1. While we don’t officially have the beta out yet, we’re closer than we’ve ever been. Between now and the beta release(s), you’re not going to see many breaking changes (if any) that would make using Aurelia 2 now a problem. One thing that will differ is the router, but only in some aspects.

18 Likes

Hilariously (and this may be silly of me) I am building a sort of simple blog webapp as well in Au1 and simultaneously Au2 just to learn it better. Kinda also helps to compare the two documentations as well. Looking great so far, no issues other than router docs needing enhancement [it’s very long]. I’m liking it so far a lot though and getting back into it.

5 Likes

Just finished reading all the current docs for Au2 after a year hiatus. I’d like to share that I am greatly impressed, not least with the router, and the extreme attention to ergonomics, like portalling among many other cunning ideas. The health of Aurelia looks very good to me, thank you to the core team.

13 Likes

Related to the first question here: First of all, for me only Aurelia 1 is relevant, an Aurelia 2 is still alpha and therefore uninteresting in daily business.

I have been working for two years in a company that uses Aurelia. Many colleagues, including myself, are very dissatisfied with this decision. It starts with a very hard start (if you start from scratch). There is a lot of “documentation”, but unfortunately not much you can do with it. Mostly there are only snippets without context, few concrete examples. Some features do not appear at all. Then you find very little help, no videos. “Modern architectures” like microfrontends or actually trivial things like monorepos can not be implemented without problems, sometimes not at all. Component libraries (native), as they are used unfortunately gladly by enterprises, also do not exist.

But maybe I am just, like some people here from Aurelia, too biased by the “awful” React :slight_smile: and cross my fingers that Aurelia 2 takes off .

4 Likes

@Marcel-B The good thing is many of these concerns have been sorted with Aurelia 2. The docs are well-written with detailed explanations on how to do things. We have tutorials, and recipes and now we have a repository filled with code examples. You can also do things like microfrontends and other modern architecture concepts in Aurelia 2 as well.

7 Likes

@dwaynecharrington Aurelia 2 has been in alpha since March 2021.
What duration should we expect for the beta, rc stages?
I feel a bit left in the dark not knowing any future milestone dates or the completion percentage of the final product.
Could you shed some light?

1 Like

No rushing, Gmail was perfected and was considered beta for maybe a decade?? But each iteration was just so well-tested and now they follow the same process, they put tips and little mini-tutorials for first-time-users in all things Android. I used to never use Google Docs and now it’s amazing etc.

You can do a release in such a way once you have the marketing , tutorials, components ready. Otherwise you’ll be like svelte, it looks nice, but can’t do much with it because there’s very few plugins/components/3rd-party stuff.

You can do an earlier release that’s missing some components & plugins or perfection in documentation (as long as each new release has some interesting things that will put you over the top). For example, right now I am seeing excellent documentation but having trouble finding out what each concept is used for to match the real-life situation. “like why or when would I need this feature?” So right now my mind doesn’t “map” the examples or real features to a section of the docs (this is why often tutorials are used to show implementation, some people are very talented at seeing an abstract or theoretical concept and seeing it’s application but that comes from experience and having big brains).

I’m a bit jaded because a junior programmer kept complaining about how some frameworks don’t have enough examples, 3rd party implementations, or stackoverflow questions. That was so annoying to me (almost like laziness proxy of them not reading lengthy documentation) that they couldn’t see why something is better despite having less “participating people” but I guess some people will forever be crowd-followers and refuse to read lengthy paragraphs.

I say it as an opportunity because despite best efforts for me to try to adapt to other frameworks, I just cannot NOT see their flaws and problems.

1 Like

I don’t think you can compare Aurelia 2 with Gmail.
First of all, Aurelia 2 is an upgrade of Aurelia 1.0, not a new product.
Secondly, Aurelia is a code dependency, not an end-user product.

My company creates LOB Aurelia 1 web applications with multi-million revenue.
We are trying to plan for the migration to Aurelia 2, but obviously we can’t release new versions of our products with an alpha, beta or rc release of Aurelia 2.

Still requesting for any core team members to shed some light (see my previous post) as we need some level of predictability for our product line roadmap.

@Sayan751 ? @fkleuver ? @bigopon ?

4 Likes

There’ll be better information with regards to roadmap, iteration plan coming in the next blog post, when we have alpha 42 out.

10 Likes

Hello
I am a 6 years Angular Developer that just discovered that framework, stalking hazardously in the npm galaxy !

1 Like

Hi @dwaynecharrington , I would very much like to hear about doing micro-frontends using Aurelia 2. Because we are currently in evaluation of frameworks that have this solved like ie. React. I personally don’t like other frameworks, and would like to do it in Aurelia 2. Can You give us some examples or tutorials for doing this in Aurelia2?

it seems v42 will be an answer to everything :slight_smile:

2 Likes

And by 42, he means 2042. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 Likes