Aurelia CLI project possible error

I will keep this as short as possible.

Using Visual Studio 2017 (latest updates as of post date).

1. I created an MVC core project.

2. I created an Aurelia project via the CLI inside this project.

3. Following the CLI instructions made the changes to the Home/Index view :

@{
    ViewData[“Title”] = “Home Page”;
    Layout = “~/Views/Shared/_Layout_App.cshtml”;
    }

@section scripts {
    <environment names=“Development”>
    <script type=“text/javascript” src="~/dist/vendor.bundle.js" asp-append-version=“true”></script>
    <script type=“text/javascript” src="~/dist/app.bundle.js" asp-append-version=“true”></script>
    </environment>
    <environment names=“Production”>
    <script type=“text/javascript” asp-src-include="~/dist/common.*.bundle.js" asp-append-version=“true”></script>
    </environment>
    <environment names=“Staging, Production”>
    <script type=“text/javascript” asp-src-include="~/dist/vendor.*.bundle.js" asp-append-version=“true”></script>
    <script type=“text/javascript” asp-src-include="~/dist/app.*.bundle.js" asp-append-version=“true”></script>
    </environment>
    }

4. Build the aurelia project and CTRL-F5 to run the MVC project. The Aurelia app does not load.

Why?

In the webpack.config.js, lines 43-45 inclusive:

filename: production ? '[name].[chunkhash].bundle.js' : '[name].[hash].bundle.js',
sourceMapFilename: production ? '[name].[chunkhash].bundle.map' : '[name].[hash].bundle.map',
chunkFilename: production ? '[name].[chunkhash].chunk.js' : '[name].[hash].chunk.js'

The development bundle names have a [hash]. The Index.cshtml does not expect one:

<environment names="Development">
    <script type="text/javascript" src="~/dist/vendor.bundle.js" asp-append-version="true"></script>
    <script type="text/javascript" src="~/dist/app.bundle.js" asp-append-version="true"></script>
  </environment>

Removing the ‘[hash]’ from the development build webpack.config.js, lines 43-45 and things work again.

There is still a 404 on ‘vendor.css’ on a newly created project.

Regarding the 404 on ‘vendor.css’ on a newly created project.

I have changed the ‘_Layout_App.cshtml’ file to include a RederSection for css:

<!DOCTYPE html>
<html>
<head>
  <meta charset="utf-8">
  <meta name="viewport" content="width=device-width, initial-scale=1.0">
  <title>@ViewData["Title"] - Aurelia</title>
  @RenderSection("css", required: false)
</head>
<body>
  @RenderBody()

@RenderSection("scripts", required: false)
</body>
</html>

This is used by the ‘Index.cshtml’ file as follows.

@section css {
  <environment names="Production">
    <link asp-href-include="~/dist/*.css" rel="stylesheet" asp-append-version="true"/>
  </environment>
}

CSS now seems to be handled correctly both in ‘dev’ and ‘prod’ builds with the 404 error gone and the redundant ‘vendor.css’ removed.

1. Clone.
  2. ‘yarn build’
  3. ‘dotnet run’