Intermediate Aurelia Tutorial

Aurelia lacks a lot in documentation, and thanks to @adriatic initiative it will hopefully start changing. However recently I have started looking other frameworks content online (including on udemy) and it made me think. Shouldn’t this type of video https://vimeo.com/ondemand/intermediateaurelia be more accessible for the community?

I mean, I know that the core team of aurelia has limited budget, and they are not backed by big companies and big salaries, but having a great source of intermediate content being sold for $250.00, while the community urges for better documentation and tutorials, does not sound reasonable too.

I don’t think it should be free (in the perfect world it would be tho) but I think it makes more sense having it being sold by $10 - $15 and provide a chance of all the community afford it than have it sold for $250 and limit the access to the content to just few people.

Udemy has great courses on other frameworks with much more than 5h content, for much more affordable prices.

4 Likes

I agree, there should be more video tutorial content. I actually also think it should be free, or as close as possible, because having free video tutorials available can be considered an investment in the future of the framework: more easily-accessible learning resources means more Aurelia adopters. This will pay dividends in future consulting opportunities or other paid content.

Out of curiosity, what kind of topics fall into the “intermediate tutorial” category? I myself am working on some Aurelia tutorials and am looking for ideas beyond “the basics.”

@NickShallee I’m subscribing your channel, and I agree… free content brings more adopters, which makes the framework be considered as an option. I have never seem a company offer a job position for front end developer asking Aurelia. They always ask for Angular/React. Not because Aurelia is a bad framework, but because they know that they can easily finds professionals if they need to grow the team or replace an employee.

For me what would be considered intermediate would be: Master Detail, Child Routes, Service Classes, Handling Errors (fetch/http), Event Aggregator, Validation, Authentication, Integrating Material Design, Aurelia-UX, Animation, Aurelia-Dialog, Create Binding Behaviors, Custom Events.

And more advanced would be integrating third party frameworks (RxJs, React, Polymer), creating plugins, and going deeper into the Aurelia api (http://aurelia.io/docs/api/).

The link with the video from @EisenbergEffect shows a CMS like app for ticketing issues.

2 Likes

@tbnovaes I appreciate the topics! I agree companies don’t typically request Aurelia; however, I do currently have a consulting contract for a large company (~1,500 employees) that uses Aurelia. I’m sure the core team can point to other companies of various sizes that are adopting the framework… it can just feel frustratingly slow sometimes for those of us using the framework and enjoying it.

My plan as a grateful community member is to try to create high quality, free tutorial content to help spread the word while the core team does an incredible job maintaining the framework. If at any point the core team (which has far more understanding of the framework than I do) finds the time to produce free tutorial content, I will happily step aside.

Even if they find time, I would not step aside, I think the internet has space for everybody. It is always good to have more than one source of information. :slight_smile: Thank you for the time that you put in AureliaCasts, I know it is hard to find free time and energy to put together this type of content.

Good discussion and I appreciate all stated opinions.

In my view, the fact that Aurelia still exists is a terrific confirmation for a brilliant design and implementation done by a very few people in their spare time. Consequently, expecting a matching technical documentation is at best unreasonable as that can be achieved only by having dedicated people to do that - not hoping for a miracle by a core team. This is the reason I am trying to organize great technical talent (Aurelia framework users) in the form of AUCS project.

As mentioned before, we (existing Aurelia users) are interested in “higher level issues”, like the list provided by @tbnovaes, above, issues that require not only solid grasp of basic Aurelia constructs, but more importantly, good programming practices in combining these constructs to create somehing a lot more complex.

Video tutorials are indeed my favorite learning tool - but only if created with the level of sophistication provided by PluralSight. As it is pretty clear that we cannot do that today, the next best thing is a set of guides like we are trying to do in AUCS “movement”, where the key innovation is the fact that they are written by folks who “suffered” from the lack of such information in their initial period of falling in love with Aurelia.

Hi @Adriatic,

You may already know this but PluralSight does have a couple of courses.

Yes, @Dave I do know that as I am perpetuous subscriber to PluralSight. Their pricing structure is such that it may not fit everyone who wants to learn Aurelia - subject that is being discussed in this thread.

I don’t see why people need to pay too much as commercial courses are nearly always too far out of date. Aurelia is changing rapidly and it can be worse to learn old stuff and then have to relearn whilst programming a later version that has new API. After all this is Open Source software and best documented by its authors perhaps using video and a low cost package such as Debut (https://nchsoftware.com/capture/index.html)