Stage 3 decorators in Aurelia

Now that decorators have finally reached stage 3 in the tc39 process, I was wondering about decorators in aurelia, both version 1 and 2.

Is it safe to assume that v2 decorators will conform to the latest spec once v2 is released (since I am also assuming that they don’t currently conform)? Would be great if so because that would mean it would be possible to run v2 with no transpilation, assuming you use js rather than ts for your own code.

Also wondering if there is likely to be any intent to update the v1 decorators to the latest spec? Or will this be a case of too much change in too old a version? If the v2 beta is launched any time soon this might be easier to live with.

Is it safe to assume that v2 decorators will conform to the latest spec once v2 is released

Yes, it doesn’t make any sense otherwise, probably.

Before the proposal hit stage 4, we won’t be doing anything. Also, TS won’t be doing anything either so even if we did try, it won’t be easy for folks to upgrade.

For v1, it’s unclear what the strategy will be. Though if it’s quick to implement or taken care by a community contribution, we definitely will work to get it in as early as possible.

I thought stage 3 was when implementors would start to work on proposals?

Typescript appears to be planning to implement the latest spec in version 4.9: TypeScript 4.9 Iteration Plan · Issue #50457 · microsoft/TypeScript · GitHub

1 Like

As long as the current v1 decorators do not suddenly break.

There have been a few changes wrt metadata APIs during stage 3, and I remembered reading somewhere where it mentioned TS wants to wait for the proposal to hit stage 4 before working on it. Maybe it has changed since the proposal has unofficially received greenlight from all major stakeholders.

Regardless, we still need to wait for at least TS to implement it before we can do anything.

As long as the current v1 decorators do not suddenly break.

All the tools do not suddenly stop supporting the old decorator behavior so v1 won’t suddenly break.

3 Likes