What are you learning? What to learn next?

I wasn’t sure how to categorize this or if it is even appropriate.

I’ve been using Aurelia with TypeScript for a little over two years now. I’m still smitten and, for better or worse, have little to no interest in other frameworks as I feel they’re simply going to be a bunch of headache and little gain. Aurelia lets me focus on my goals and not the framework.

I’ve been developing for nearly 20 years. Anyone who has worked in development for more than 5 years has probably noticed the cyclical nature of technology, especially where development is concerned. The language/framework/etc. “New Hotness” is created because of “Old Awful’s” flaws. After a few years, “New Hotness” has lost it’s luster and someone creates “Super Sexy” which looks a lot like “Old Awful” with some tweaks. This has led me to a point where I’m incredibly cynical whenever a new savior is proclaimed.

What out there is exciting to other Aurelia devs? What are you currently learning?

3 Likes

Currently learning React. Can’t say I like it much, but I don’t really have a choice: that is where the jobs are these days.

1 Like

My next learning path will probably be Wasm related, Blazor comes to mind.
That being said, there is no way we will ditch Aurelia any time soon, we built our tooling around it, it’s stable, and we are still very happy with it. It’s probably the first framework that doesn’t give me FOMO over other newer and shiny things, probably because it doesn’t frustrate me often :smiley:

2 Likes

@stevies
That’s unfortunately how I’ve also tended to choose what to learn. I had to pick up PHP a few years because that was all I could find around where I live. What would you say is your biggest issue with React?

@arnederuwe
What is it about WebAssembly that attracts you to it? Are your projects geared toward being computationally heavy?

1 Like

@YardGnomeNinja

React is very verbose - Aurelia (used correctly) is much easier and cleaner to work with. And I don’t like mixing HTML and JavaScript in the same file: that really seems like a step backwards.

I miss simple things like value converters and binding behaviours, decorators and conventions that just work, etc.

But Aurelia is not seen as being “cool” and I’ve given up trying to promote its advantages. React has clearly won the marketing war so it is easier now to just join the herd.

1 Like

They aren’t, what attracts me is the promise of C# everywhere, as of this day I still prefer it over TypeScript

DISCLAIMER: I used to be a Silverlight developer :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

I would argue that learning is always easiest if the use case is well defined. E.g I started building a multi-lingual app years ago and thought yeah why not read up on I18N. That resulted in a Knockout I18N implementation for Durandal and later in aurelia-i18n. After that catching up with Redux and other State-Management patterns attracted me so while learning I’ve started with aurelia-store.

Now I’m not necessarily proposing that whatever you learn has to do with Aurelia, I just felt that I’m super expressive with it and overall like JavaScript, so it’s a great environment to test out newly learned stuff.

So as an example what could be interesting is dig up into GraphQL and start applying the learning to a aurelia-graphql library. While doing so you might want to develop a test server where you could pickup Rust/Go and so it goes on and on.

3 Likes

I also learned more React because it was a project requirement. It is a very unpleasant experience. It wasn’t all bad though, while trying to augment React’s weak router I found this neat gem: https://xstate.js.org and built a pretty slick deterministic router for a complex form wizard. The library isn’t at all specific to React but I don’t think I would’ve found it in any other context.

Other more pleasant things that I’ve been exploring include Docker and GraphQL. I should be able to use these (and Aurelia, yay!) on upcoming projects. This light at the end of the tunnel helps me slog through the React cruft.

1 Like

I am not learning any particular framework or tools right now, I am taking a step back and trying to work on what I already knew and make them more robust so working on more fundamental principals, such as patterns, paradigms, and architectures. Trying to write more unit tests when creating stuff, working on functional programming, and concurrent programming in .NET, I have some tendency( am enthusiastic ) towards gRPC, I am not sure how it may fit with Aurelia; might make my hands dirty for a plugin if possible.

1 Like

Aurelia-CLI is docker -friendly now, it will generate a docker file based on your selected features and have some basic commands like build for building and image of your app, start and stop to bring up or tear down the app inside a container. Go through Custom Aurelia App

2 Likes

Yup, I noticed this. I already have a docker template for Aurelia but will totally take a peek at this when I get time to see if it can improve mine or if I can contribute some ideas.

2 Likes