What is aurelia.json?

We’ve been using Aurelia with webpack, without the CLI, for more than a year now, and we’ve never even had an aurelia.json file.

I see people talking about it all the time, but I can’t find anything that explains why it’s needed. It seems like a real pain to have to maintain this aurelia.json file, so I’m wondering why people even do it.

If this has been discussed before, I apologize. I’ve held my breath long enough for fear of retaliation or making myself look dumb. I just can’t sit here wondering anymore.

Thanks!

1 Like

With cli bootstrapped app, it uses aurelia.json to store some configuration which is consumed by gulp tasks generated by cli.

1 Like

That’s helpful, thanks. Pretty much what I thought. Can’t help but wonder how much that gets you as opposed to what we’re doing with webpack.

cli started as a bundler without webpack support, the config is for cli bundler mainly.

When cli extended to support webpack, it still retained the config for some generic stuff, but the main meat is in your webpack.config generated by cli.

cli+webpack app still has cli in app’s dependencies, but cli does very little logic for apps using webpack. Majority of the work is handled by webpack as you expect.

1 Like