Announcing the Aurelia 2 Beta

Aurelia isn’t abandoned whatsoever. It’s a project being maintained by a passionate group of people that not only work on the framework, but also use it at their day jobs and personal projects.

One important thing to realise is the world opened up after the terrible COVID-19 pandemic not too long ago. Everyone was impacted by the pandemic the last couple of years, including people on our team. So, of course it had an impact on the project. Not because the project was abandoned, but because the world shutdown and slowed to a crawl fof a while.

The Aurelia 2 alpha was one of the most stable alpha versions I’ve ever used. Alpha usually means unstable, but many of us on the team had been dogfooding it since the beginning. As for the beta, you’ve probably noticed that it’s equally as stable. That stability is because we take the time to make sure we release high quality, stable and tested code. There will always be issues that arise, but don’t mistake the meticulous releases for issues with the project or its longevity.

Rest assured that Aurelia isn’t going anywhere. It’s not being abandoned. The team hasn’t given up. We have so many things coming these next few months, and the framework is going in a direction that not even Aurelia 1 went in. Get excited.

13 Likes

I can only agree with Dwayne.
I have created several big LOB applications (Desktop + Mobile) with Aurelia 1 over the last few years.
There wasn’t a single problem with the framework - it just does what it’s supposed to do.
I am convinced the same applies to version 2.
Big thanks to the team!

6 Likes

Microsoft has no connection with Aurelia, more then Rob Eisenberg (original creator of Aurelia) formerly work for Microsoft.

2 Likes

I’m wondering if there is something specifically you are not being able to implement with Aurelia v2? Some of the unfair feedback on Aurelia is about tech leads being unable to convince managers to adapt Aurelia long term. Maybe what tech leads need is a PR package or a nice landing page to make the case.
Luckily (for me) our company values above all else code ergonomics, long term maintainability and on-boarding workflows for jr devs, all of which Aurelia significantly excels at!

3 Likes

I know that history of Aurelia, Rob and Microsoft. I never said that Microsoft and Aurelia are related. On knockout Microsoft put the library on template, on Aurelia was mentioned a few times on the dotnet stand-up presentations, Jon Galloway used an aurelia t-shirt once, but not real endorsement from Microsoft. The point about Microsoft was paying the original autor of both libraries to abandon the library/frameworks to build new stuff. I don’t want o say that what that are doing now is less important, but the contribution from Microsoft was basically pay the main developer to stop work on the library.

1 Like

Before convince my manager I need to know if in production I gonna have a not beta version. I was trying to know 2 year before migrating a project with knockout, If I convinced my manager at that time to do that move, believing that to Aurelia 2 was reaching a final version before we released our new version of the product I was I with alpha version on the clients until a a few months ago.

My feedback is not positive, is unfair, I know how much is hard to release thing with quality, a framework like Aurelia is not the same a small library to finish all the features. It takes times I understand. But look the ecosystem, Aurelia alternatives are alpha or beta versions for 2 years. Maybe the quality of their releases have more bugs than Aurelia 2 beta, but they don’t label that as alpha for so long. They add something new on 2.1, 2 months later 2.2 and 2.3 etc. 2.0 doesn’t need to bring all at once

Microsoft just required a good developer, not like Rob have start projects before and then left. If Microsoft wanted to kill of Aurelia, had been more effective to buy it and shutdown the project. I don’t understand why you at all mentions Microsoft, when you know they have no real connections.

I am not saying that this was desired, or Microsoft got Rob with the only intention of making Aurelia suffer. Rob knew that by starting that new role, he was putting Aurelia on a lower priority.
I am not making the connection you assume I am. My mentions to Microsoft are related to their decisions, not just with starting another UI framework “FAST” framework, instead supporting Aurelia, they did with Knockout, and Silverlight. Again, I am not making connections from microsoft to aurelia. I am just sying that they don’t help much by pointing a star one day, and another one next month. I case of aurelia the remove Rob to work on an not so significant project, harming aurelia project unintentionally.
Again I know that aurelia is not related with microsoft, I just say, that could do thing differently when supporting projects they say they like.

1 Like

Just generate a mock Aurelia roadmap with GPT from the docs and discourse. I think not generating your own mock PR for convincing managers is lazy

1 Like

I have been involved in one of those Aurelia 2 dogfooding projects, working with one of the fantastic programmers who have been an integral part of the core Aurelia team. The dogfooding produced an amazing piece of work in a third-party Web3 project.

I have the impression that the Aurelia team has no great reason to miss Rob – as great as Rob may be, he is not the only person in the world capable of creating something as great as Aurelia, meaning a product that is everything it is claiming to be: Super high quality, on the cutting edge of web development technologies, and highly standards-conformant. Add in a huge improvement in the documentation. Would be great to have a few more Robs to speed things up. Would be great to find some magic to go more viral, but to go viral without quality would be a huge mistake if even possible.

High standards are something I don’t think we need worry about – the high standards we expect from Aurelia are totally being met and exceeded by the current team. If it takes time, then no worries because Aurelia 2 is on the cutting edge and will continue to be so. That can be a foundation for spreading the message to development managers everywhere…

9 Likes