Aurelia-Slickgrid 3.x (third major version) is now released!

Hey everyone, I thought it would be nice to give a quick post on releasing the third iteration of Aurelia-Slickgrid 3.x that just came out and answer some of the questions you might have and also wanted to advertise the new release.

If you don’t know what Aurelia-Slickgrid library is, then check out the Aurelia-Slickgrid demo (now includes 30 Examples). I also wrote a Blog Post a year ago.

In short, it is a full fledge data grid with lots of features, free of charge with MIT license, it is a wrapper on top of SlickGrid a JavaScript library which was created over 10 years ago with thousand of stars, while Aurelia-Slickgrid was created over 3 years ago.

New Version Q&A

Question 1) why a new major 3.x version?

For a few reasons, the biggest being that it now uses an external monorepo library named Slickgrid-Universal and here’s a few reasons why…

• because it’s a monorepo structure it allows for better decoupling of a few Services (Text Export, Excel Export, OData & GraphQL are now decoupled and opt-in)
  • since a few of these Services are now decoupled, it should, at least in theory, provide smaller production build size (download only what you really need and use)
  • that external lib is also framework agnostic (and it will potentially be used in the future by other frameworks that I also support). For example, we use it in Salesforce with ES6 syntax.
  • it also helps me quite a lot in maintaining less code, any changes made into Slickgrid-Universal bubbles up to Aurelia-Slickgrid, 1 library to rule them all :wink:
  • there are also some new features that were created originally only in Slickgrid-Universal and are now available in Aurelia-Slickgrid, the biggest new feature is Composite Editor Modal Window

Question 2) why create yet another lib? Slickgrid-Universal that is…

• because I needed to use it in another framework, Salesforce with ES6 syntax.
  • since I had to support yet another framework, I decided to make it framework agnostic with a monorepo structure. I created 3 libs around SlickGrid (Aurelia-Slickgrid, Angular-Slickgrid and Slickgrid-Universal) and I wanted to try to simplify the code maintenance and structure.
  • I wanted a lib that would act as a central piece which could be used by any framework while I could push features & fixes in 1 location and expect the changes to bubble up to the other libs (Aurelia-Slickgrid for instance).
  • all libs have (had) around 80-85% code in common, they are all 100% unit tested (10K lines of code)
  • so the end result is that Slickgrid-Universal is now used in our Salesforce implementation and now also in Aurelia-Slickgrid and the bonus is that it becomes much simpler for to support. At the end, I dropped about 9k lines of code when Aurelia-Slickgrid switched to using Slickgrid-Universal code.

Migration and Installation

You have multiple ways to get started

Quick Recap, the biggest reasons of why to upgrade to 3.x?

1. More Decoupling = Smaller Bundle size (monorepo structure, download only what you need)
  2. One common repo to update (that was mostly my personal goal)
  3. The library is now fully Typed, even the SlickGrid core lib (written in JS) now has full TS Typing (I added it all manually)
  4. New Features and bug fixes will only be available going forward with version 3.x only
    • I’m a team of 1, @ghiscoding, so I hope you understand the why.
    • A new feature which is now available only in 3.x is Composite Editor (a CRUD modal window) and is demonstrated under this new Example 30 - Composite Editor
  5. It’s fully tested with Jest (100% coverage) and Cypress for E2E testing (400 tests in Aurelia-Slickgrid and another 200 tests in Slickgrid-Universal)

Minimum Requirements

• TypeScript >= 4.1.2
  • Aurelia-I18N >= 3.0.0
  • Aurelia-CLI >= 2.0.0
  • Bootstrap or any other UI framework like Bulma, Material, …

Final Words

A big thanks to @3cp and @zewa666 for their invaluable help in providing better support for all bundlers and also help with some code review.

If you like the lib, please upvote :star: and/or Buy Me a Coffee :coffee:

Cheers and Happy End of the Year :christmas_tree: :gift:

16 Likes