Aurelia vs Vue.js

Any thoughts would be appreciated =)

1 Like

Aurelia is heavily standards-based. It is intentionally designed around next-generation web standards, like WebComponents and ESNext. So, by investing time in Aurelia, you are investing in the future of the open web.

5 Likes

Im pretty comfortable with Aurelia. Just wish there is a quick and dirty way to get started without npm installs. Maybe there is and I m not aware of it. It would be nice to download some bundle and go to town. Do you know if there is such a thing?

Thanks for responding =)

2 Likes

I always use the CLI so I have no experience with this, but:

Version 1.0.2 of Aurelia is hosted on CDNJS https://cdnjs.com/libraries/aurelia

And you can probably use the files from the index of gist.run: GistRun or clone this gist.run to try out something in the browser.

I guess these files are built from GitHub - aurelia/aurelia: Aurelia 2, a standards-based, front-end framework designed for high-performing, ambitious applications., but I am not sure about that.

Hope this helps.

Gr,

Erik

1 Like

@erik.lieben I just found your post, being curious about the aurelia - vue comparisons; imagine my surprise finding aurelia hosted on cdn. I am pushing for this for more than a year and just because I really respect @EisenbergEffect, I did not go ahead to do this myself. This is a fantastic piece of the infrastructure for all of the planned work in the Get Aurelia Great project. In particular, besides creating the Aurelia Community website to be a parallel to aurelia with the documentation written by community members, I will also propose to this same community team to write for cdnjs tutorials site.

I had an opportunity to work with both. Vue is fantastic. It is small, well documented, working, fairly easy to understand. But I love Aurelia as well. It took some time to set it up, documentation covers just tip of an iceberg, but once you have a good structure and you manage to go a little bit deeper in understanding how it works, it really pays off. We’re using it for quite a huge project and were able to do localizations, animations, messaging in-between modules and unit testing easily and in quality, that I never saw anything like it.

So I would pick Vue for smaller projects, especially when you don’t want to deal with NPM, building, compiling and stuff, yet you want something expressive and powerful. If you are going to build big/enterprise application I would pick Aurelia.

2 Likes

@tomasbonco would you be amenable to lead the community wide project (meaning that you get the needed collaboration from other volunteers) in the category “Aurelia versus other frameworks”, which should be a part of the Get Aurelia Great “movement” that I am trying to organize?

Comparisons with other similar frameworks is sourly missing - and it should be done by the community members (read application developers), as the core team members would always perceived as too biased, and not all of the core team members are application developers first and framework developers second.

1 Like

Hello, I would not like to get off-topic in this thread so I wrote you in Gitter. Wish you a nice day!

1 Like

+ACK (good call). Thanks for responding

I’m familiar with Aurelia, and am reviewing the latest vue and react.

It seems that vue has grown to be similar to Aurelia in many ways.

A few notables:

• both are component oriented and use templating
  • with vue you can also implement a render() function like React if you want.
  • vue has a specific story for how parent components communicate to children, and visa versa (Aurelia can do this with data binding and events as well as other options).
  • vue has a similar simple global event bus as Aurelia EventAggregator.
  • vue also has vuex for state management if that’s your thing - I’m not sure if there is an Aurelia-specific similar solution
1 Like

Yes very soon https://github.com/zewa666/aurelia-store

and it’s on the Aurelia 2018 Roadmap

1 Like

I used Aurelia 1st. It’s quite nice. But I like Vue much more. Much faster to get up and running and everything I’ve tried to build has been easier than it was compared to Aurelia or Angular.

Aurelia vs Vue is comparing Apples to Oranges. One is a fully-featured framework and one is a library. Both can achieve similar things, but they are very much different in many aspects. Aurelia adopts a reactive based approach to its binding system, Vue utilises a virtual DOM like React. I have worked with Aurelia a lot and I have done a bit with Vue, both are great. I don’t think one is better than the other.

1 Like

Six months ago I evaluated Aurelia, Vue, Angular 4, Ember, and React (I was primarily an AngularJS user at the time). I was the most impressed by Vue but my organization ended up going with Aurelia due to hiring another developer that already had Aurelia experience.

After working on a real application using Aurelia for the past five months I would not recommend it to anyone that doesn’t have the skill set or the desire to become an expert in current JavaScript tooling ecosystem. I’ve probably spent days, maybe weeks just debugging different problems with using Aurelia with WebPack/Karma/Jest/Protractor/HMR. It seems the team is just spread too thin to support it all.

Having said that I really like the philosophy Aurelia has as a framework and its feature set. Also, who knows if I’ll run into similar JavaScript tooling problems when I start a new project using Vue or Angular++ so it may not be Aurelia-specific.

2 Likes

Hey… jQuery and bootstrap are still around (-:

Aurelia offers a complete, well designed and good coded ecosystem to build SPA’s without the need of any 3rdParty library. Vue is like React only a view library but it offers solutions for state management and routing etc. which React doesn’t. So in my eyes it’s +1 for Vue against React but a +2 for Aurelia when it’s about building SPA’s.
I’m also not a fan of a component containing business logic, view behavior and styles. Separation of concerns is in my eyes the better readable and maintainable solution.
So Aurelia in my eyes beats React and Vue for building SPA’s.

But what about shareable components? Some companies like in mine have, thanks to radical agility, multiple applications with different frameworks and it absolutely makes sense to don’t build components twice. As I wrote before some time I think that web components are not ready to use yet when your target users have other browsers than latest Chrome. Here React/Preact or Vue are in my eyes good solutions since they are based on nothing else than JavaScript which you can embed everywhere with some tricks.
We’re for instance using Preact + SCSS to build shared components because Preact have the smallest footprint and works similar to React.

It’s not really something to joke about, do you know how hard it is to convince employers to use Aurelia or to find developers that want to use Aurelia over Vue or React?

Trust me. I know (-:

Sorry to give critical opinion but that’s the way it is.

As of this time HMR doesn’t work, there’s an open issue talking about how fixing it is lower priority than getting server side rendering working.

We had to switch from Karma to Jest because you can’t test elements that use slots. There’s no movement on the issue I posted that provides repos reproducing the bug and a working repo demonstrating the test code working to prove I didn’t write the tests wrong.

After upgrading to webpack 4 by meticulously updating the webpack config, package.json, et Al to match what’s changed in the au cli scaffolded solution we got JavaScript memory heap errors when using the --watch flag. Now who knows what’s causing that problem but I guess we are the first Aurelia users running into this. I suppose I’ll create a new issue with an accompanying repo soon.

Not trying to start a flame war but these are challenges I wish I were aware of before we made a decision on a js framework. I never had to do as much low-level trouble shooting with AngularJS (and jQuery/bootstrap as someone jokingly brought those up hehehe).

Now to be fair, I haven’t used angular next or vuejs on real-world applications either so they might have the same pitfalls. But my guess is that at least using Angular we would less likely be the first users to run into similar problems due to the larger userbase.

3 Likes

You are rigth when you say " Also, who knows if I’ll run into similar JavaScript tooling problems when I start a new project using Vue or Angular++ so it may not be Aurelia-specific.".
The JavaScript ecosystem comes with its own issues , and of course if you whan to use any of these frameworks you must learn about all the ecosystem.

1 Like