Happy New Year and Happy New Aurelia!

The year of 2020 was a rough year for a lot of people, including the Aurelia core team. But as we enter 2021 we look forward not only to a better year, but to a better Aurelia because Aurelia 2 is just around the corner!

We’ve got the pieces in place now and are currently working on doing some test migrations of v1 apps to v2 and writing docs. As soon as we’re sure we can provide a smooth migration experience – and that looks to be very soon – we’re going to officially release the alpha version.

We know that many of you have been looking forward to trying out v2 almost as much as you love v1. We have too. And we’re almost there now. We’ve really appreciated your patience so far and we’ll see you soon in a solid and smooth Aurelia 2 alpha.

Thanks and talk to you again soon!
/The Core Team

38 Likes

I know I am biased, but I have been using Aurelia 2 on and off for the better part of a year. Seeing it evolve into what it is now, for an alpha, this thing impresses the pants off of me. Not only is the development experience familiar to those who worked with v1, but it is also better and a lot more powerful this time around.

I highly implore everyone to dig in and try out the new router, specifically the direct router which takes a zero-configuration convention approach to routing. The same Aurelia everyone knows and loves is still there, but there is so much more power if you want it (the new lifecycles are awesome). Gone is the task queue and there is also now native support for Shadow DOM as well as support for CSS Modules out-of-the-box.

22 Likes

I recommend use continuous delivery, like every 1 ou 2 months release something even if is small, instead of every month promise a delivery in the next and then delay to another time.
I know that it’s alot of work, is a very complete framework, but is also causes uncertainty.

7 Likes

Is there any docs or links to articles about the new router available?

2 Likes

When we can expect Happy New Aurelia!?

At least a complete documentation for creating Contact Manager App for time being. Doc link

2 Likes

I think you’re talking about all these dev releases that are generated via CI…

2 Likes

We’re all very excited!

3 Likes

I have read a statement last year in July 2020 saying:

With the v2 alpha release in sight in a matter of weeks (more on that later)

So I am really excited that V2 is coming. But I hope it will not take months again.

2 Likes

afaik not merged, but it’s in the works :slight_smile:

1 Like

yes, but a post announcing a new version, with some notes about it is not a bad ideia. I know that sometimes are just bug fixes, improvements etc. but not all people will dig in all commits/issues to see what is there.

2 Likes

Sorry, I missed this question. We’re currently still working on the documentation for the new router, but there’s some information to be had. https://docs.aurelia.io/app-basics/routing and https://docs.aurelia.io/routing/configuration-and-setup shows what we’ve published so far. In a couple of very unofficial videos starting with https://youtu.be/mwrIiwVPSHo I showcase some sample usage of the new direct routing. (The videos are low quality and a bit outdated – using goto and enter instead of load among other things – but keeping this in mind (and running them in 2x speed) they might still provide some insight.

Don’t hesitate to ask if you’ve got any questions!

3 Likes

@jwx , @mobilemancer

Is the new documentation going to include TypeScript code samples as well as JavaScript?

I hope so since most of the people I know use TypeScript.

2 Likes

Yes, we’ve switched to TS internally as well, so TS is very much a first class citizen now :smiley:

3 Likes

Any update coming???

2 Likes

We’ve started the preparation & coordination (blogs, release process) for v2 alpha. More precise answer a release date should come soon, as the big work related to doc is being done by the end of this week.

12 Likes

I really encourage you all to post more often in your blogs. I know you all have mentioned that you prefer to post updates in discourse and that’s great and I look forward to those posts. However, not having at least quarterly (or more often) looks poorly on aurelia for other users interested in using this framework. It looks like there’s little development and has a negative effect with decision makers (specially for enterprise). We use aurelia in quite a few apps (and love it) within our org but I often have to justify aurelia due to the fact it seems inactive. Mainly this is because new users or decision makers are not going to search through the deeply nested discourse posts to see what’s going on with aurelia. @bigopon , @EisenbergEffect am I off on this??

7 Likes

Sorry, I couldn’t help it

Had we but world enough and time,
This coyness, lady, were no crime.
We would sit down, and think which way
To walk, and pass our long love’s day.

(Marvell)

1 Like

It’s been a bit up/down with the blog process. Thank you for the advice and we will definitely do the blog/communication more often to help with folks arguing for Aurelia. We’re sorting out the blog post process :sweat:

2 Likes

The above documentation link got missing…:cry::scream:

1 Like