It’s been almost a year since I first started experimenting with some ideas for Aurelia vNext. Since then we’ve built up a core team around vNext who have been doing some amazing work! The next major version of Aurelia is coming along well and we’re super excited for its future.
Some of you have been asking about contributing to Aurelia vNext. In light of that I would like to extend an official invitation to join us in building Aurelia’s next major version. If you’ve ever wanted to get involved with an open source project or just give back to the community, this is a great opportunity and the timing is right to be part of something special.
There are so many ways you can add value, even if you don’t feel comfortable contributing feature code or bug fixes. Here’s a few ideas to consider:
- Help us improve our README files in the repo.
- Help us plan out and/or write tutorials and documentation.
- Get involved with the RFC process and lend your real world use cases.
- Help us triage GitHub issues.
- Help us fix lint errors or improve our TypeScript strictness.
- Help us write more unit tests.
- Help us write e2e tests.
- Help us build some basic demos.
- Build/Share open source vCurrent apps/demos that we can use to test vNext.
- Really, anything you can think of…
Of course, you can contribute code that fixes bugs or implements features. But, these other items are just as critical and make a big difference.
If you still aren’t sure, then we’d love for you to start by reading through some of our RFCs. It’s a great way to wade into the waters by becoming familiar with some of the design decisions we’re pondering. We’re pinning our latest and most important RFCs to the top of the vNext repo’s issues page. So, you can always go there and see 2 - 3 RFCs to read.
2019 is going to be a pretty cool year for Aurelia and our community. We hope it’s a year where you find an open source “home” where you can get involved and play a deeper part in what we’re building together.
Looking forward to seeing you on GitHub!