Giving a talk about Aurelia

I’m thinking of giving a talk about Aurelia in my local developer group. I’m looking for any examples of talks, free slide decks, ideas or basically any material that I could you to plan the talk.

I found a topic about the (lack of) Aurelia talks in conferences from last year: Upcoming Aurelia Conferences/Events?

What I’m after is something for smaller community events, which then hopefully helps to spread the word about Aurelia, and opens some opportunities for bigger venues.

Any ideas and links are really appreciated! If I manage to get something together, I definitely plan to share as much of it as I can. For a bit of context, the group I’m thinking of talking at is a .NET user group, so it should be perfect for Aurelia if I can find the right angle. I’ve used Aurelia for few years now, but talking about it will definitely be a challenge nevertheless!

4 Likes

Hey there.

Great to hear that you’re about to spread the word. I can share two talks I had with the Graz JavaScript Meetup.

As you can tell by looking at my slide decks I’m super bad with designing them but my Aurelia presentations always turned out to be different in comparison to my React and Angular talks. It’s often more about general topics like:

• Dependency Injection
  • Large project setups
  • State management / Services in general
  • various design patterns

why? Well frankly because there isn’t that much you actually can talk about Aurelia. I mean there is that idiot-proof templating syntax (you know ES, you know our syntax), one or two decorators (@autoinject, @bindable, …) and the general concept of convention over configuration. That’s it. Contrast that with Angular and I’ve been able to deliver a whole talk about providers, ngModule, lazyLoading and so on.

My crowd so far was always a good mix of Java and .NET developers and most of them actually cared how backend workflows/patterns blend over to Aurelia. So I’m typically prepared to talk about

• Ninject/NDepdend/AutoFac and Aurelia DI (make sure to properly explain why Interfaces can’t be used as keys :wink: )
  • MVVM with WPF and Aurelia (oh guess what most of them already know ValueConverters and BindingBehaviors)
  • A bag full of good jokes about Java developers and their cough ancient cough language …
  • Service classes with Singletons/Transients and how thats done in Aurelia

Hope this helps

10 Likes

This is reason #1 why I love Aurelia.

If you know JS or TS, you’re practically a veteran Aurelia developer right out the gate. There’s no need for an “Aurelia for Dummies” book or week-long seminars. Aurelia is there to make developing easier. Not clog up your brainspace with weird, proprietary syntax, concepts and terminology.

4 Likes

@mobilemancer I recall you had one or another talk about Aurelia and Azure, might have something to share?

1 Like

Sorry, totally missed this :frowning:

I have some repos on Github, but they are fairly unstructured I think, and as mentioned above it’s “just” Aurelia, so there’s nothing new there :slight_smile:

This is for the first talk I gave titled Get to know Aurelia.

This is for another I called The AAA-stack (Aurelia, ASP.NET Core & Azure).

Most of my stuff is based on ASP.NET, so might be a bit quirkier than most straight forward node setups.

2 Likes

Thank you so much! I’ve still got more than three weeks to prepare so all the examples will help a lot with that.

2 Likes

@mvuorinen if you want to show something extremely simple in Aurelia but way harder in other frameworks, Tip: show spinner only when something is slow

5 Likes

Dynamic Compose is definitely one of the features that i’ve not yet seen elsewhere too.

2 Likes

Well I am giving a talk on Aurelia tomorrow. So wish me luck :stuck_out_tongue:

6 Likes

Please let any of know if you have any questions. Good luck!

1 Like

Hah, good luck :crossed_fingers::crossed_fingers::crossed_fingers::crossed_fingers::crossed_fingers::crossed_fingers::crossed_fingers::crossed_fingers::crossed_fingers::crossed_fingers::crossed_fingers::crossed_fingers::crossed_fingers:

1 Like

Thanks for all the help and tips!

Here’s what I ended up with: https://github.com/vuorinem/ADNUGTalk

7 Likes

A bit late to the party here, but I just wanted to say I really enjoyed your talk Mikko! :sparkling_heart:

2 Likes